Azarenka Withdraws From Dubai Due To Foot Problem

Written by: on 19th February 2013
Print This Post Print This Post
Tennis Australian Open 2013
Azarenka Withdraws From Dubai Due To Foot Problem

epa03552858 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus hits a forehand during her semi final match against Sloane Stephens of the US at the Australian Open Grand Slam tennis tournament in Melbourne, Australia, 24 January 2013. EPA/DENNIS SABANGAN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND OUT  |

Victoria Azarenka has been forced to withdraw from the Dubai Duty Free Championships for the second year running. The Australian Open champion, who won last week’s Qatar Total Open, is suffering from a bone bruise in her right foot.

 

Azarenka made the short flight from Doha to Dubai late on Monday night but sought a medical assessment early today and was advised not to contest the $US 2 million Premier tournament.

 

After making her announcement, Azarenka echoed the thoughts of former men’s no.1 Rafael Nadal who insists too much tennis is played on hard courts and injuries for top-flight players who by virtue of their success play a lot of matches are inevitable.

 

Azarenka played five demanding matches on the way to the Doha title, including a two and a half hours final against Serena Williams who deposed her as world no.1. “The schedule is sometimes difficult and rough on the body,” she said.

 

She consulted with both her coach Sam Sumyk and traveling physiotherapist, Per Bastolt, before making her decision. “The game has become so physical, and it takes so much out of you that sometimes you just need a break,” said the 23 year-old who last year was forced out by an ankle injury.

 

“Obviously I’ve been playing on the injury a lot. I had a lot of tennis over the last five days. So going to a new tournament is too much to handle right now. I have been advised by my physio that it’s just not getting better. We tried. So that’s it.”

 

Azarenka will now head to Los Angeles to see a foot specialist and also get minor surgery to finally remove the infected toe-nail she suffered before the Australian Open.

 

Her intention is still to play back to back tournaments next month at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells followed by the Sony Open in Miami. But she is considering reassessing her schedule for 2014. “You plan so much in advance, and you cannot know in November what’s going to happen in February,” she said.

 

“I’m very disappointed I cannot play here, and I feel I’m playing very good tennis at the moment. But I need to be smart. I cannot force things and make things worse than they are. That just won’t make any sense.”

©Daily tennis news wire

 

Topics: , , , , ,





10sBalls Top Stories

In Case You Missed It

A LOOK @ THE LIFE OF VASEK POSPISIL ON TOUR thumbnail

A LOOK @ THE LIFE OF VASEK POSPISIL ON TOUR

Take a look at these photos of Pospisil and his life while on tour.
VASEK POSPISIL – HIS FIRST LIFE DECISION MOMENTS thumbnail

VASEK POSPISIL – HIS FIRST LIFE DECISION MOMENTS

I was six years old. I played a tournament very close to my hometown in Canada. It was an under-10 tournament and I ended up winning the whole thing. But I played a girl there, because there were not that many people playing at the time. I beat a girl in either the first or the second round. So that was the first time I won a match. It was actually against a girl.
VASEK POSPISIL – RECEIVES FAN QUESTIONS thumbnail

VASEK POSPISIL – RECEIVES FAN QUESTIONS

The best thing would be the travelling, for sure. You get to see different places, meet new people. Every city has something different, like they have the strawberries and cream [in London].
TASTE OF TENNIS EXPANDS TO TASTE OF TENNIS WEEK DURING THE 2014 US OPEN IN NEW YORK CITY thumbnail

TASTE OF TENNIS EXPANDS TO TASTE OF TENNIS WEEK DURING THE 2014 US OPEN IN NEW YORK CITY

AYS, the creators and producers of the Taste of Tennis, New Yorks premier pre-US Open experience, announced the first Taste of Tennis Week will take place from August 20th - August 23th, 2014 in New York City.
RAFAEL ” RAFA ” NADAL WITHDRAWS FROM THE WESTERN & SOUTHERN OPEN COMING UP IN CINCINNATI OHIO , RAFA IS DEFENDING CHAMP HURT HIS RIGHT WRIST thumbnail

RAFAEL ” RAFA ” NADAL WITHDRAWS FROM THE WESTERN & SOUTHERN OPEN COMING UP IN CINCINNATI OHIO , RAFA IS DEFENDING CHAMP HURT HIS RIGHT WRIST

Western & Southern Open defending champion Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the 2014 tournament due to a right wrist injury. Nadal has also withdrawn from the ATP Masters 1000 event in Toronto, which precedes the Western & Southern Open.