Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Doubles Event In Brazil

Written by: on 14th February 2013
Print This Post Print This Post
Brasil Open 2013 tennis tournament
Rafael Nadal Withdraws From Doubles Event In Brazil

epa03580559 Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal during a press conference at the Brasil Open 2013 tennis tournament in Sao Paulo, Brazil, 12 February 2013. The tournament takes place from 11 February through 17 February 2013 in Sao Paulo. EPA/Sebastiao Moreira  |

The first signs of injury worries in the Rafael Nadal camp may have been signaled by the Spaniard’s surprise sudden pullout just before the start of a doubles match with David Nalbandian in Sao Paulo, Brazil at this week’s minor ATP 250 clay event.

Nadal’s camp said the withdrawal was merely a precaution to allow the longtime knee injury victim to concentrate on his singles as he tries for a comeback to tennis after seven months out. But the suddenness of the decision has observers concerned that Nadal might have taken on too much tennis by playing in both events as he makes his return to the courts.

Even his forgiving and favored clay seems to be have become a potential hazard, with the No. 5 scheduled for this week and one more in Acapulco before putting his knees to the supreme test with hard-courts all during March in the US.

Nadal lost both the singles and doubles finals last week in Chile and traveled to Brazil still complaining of knee pain. He and Nalbandian had won their opening doubles 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 victory over Spaniards Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia Lopez.

Nadal’s longtime doctor Angel Luiz Cotorro told the BBC that the Spaniard needed to make a measured return to the sport. What you have to do in this case is select tournaments properly, enter the circuit progressively.

“On clay, movements are less aggressive because of the possibility to skid, which helps the tendon to suffer less. A quick surface is more aggressive than any other because of the abrupt changes in movement, the sudden brakes.”

©Daily Tennis News Wire

Topics: , , , , , ,





10sBalls Top Stories

In Case You Missed It

TENNIS NEWS FROM LONDON • ANDY MURRAY, TOMMY HAAS, GREG RUSEDSKI & MORE ALL SET FOR ASPALL CLASSIC AT THE HURLINGHAM CLUB thumbnail

TENNIS NEWS FROM LONDON • ANDY MURRAY, TOMMY HAAS, GREG RUSEDSKI & MORE ALL SET FOR ASPALL CLASSIC AT THE HURLINGHAM CLUB

Friday 23rd June 2017, London: It was announced that world No. 1 Andy Murray will join the line-up for next week's Aspall Tennis Classic held at The Hurlingham Club.
10SBALLS SHARES THE LATEST PHOTOS FROM THE AEGON CHAMPIONSHIPS TENNIS AT THE QUEENS CLUB thumbnail

10SBALLS SHARES THE LATEST PHOTOS FROM THE AEGON CHAMPIONSHIPS TENNIS AT THE QUEENS CLUB

Click here to see the latest photos from the Queens Club tennis.
Tennis Anti-Doping Programme Statement Regarding Daniel Evans thumbnail

Tennis Anti-Doping Programme Statement Regarding Daniel Evans

On 24 April 2017, Mr Evans, a 27-year-old player from Great Britain, provided an anti-doping sample to the TADP
WTA Tennis • RESULTS AT AEGON INTERNATIONAL EASTBOURNE QUALIFYING thumbnail

WTA Tennis • RESULTS AT AEGON INTERNATIONAL EASTBOURNE QUALIFYING

CIRSTEA, SCHIAVONE, BARTHEL THROUGH TO ROUND TWO AT AEGON INTERNATIONAL EASTBOURNE QUALIFYING
WTA TENNIS KVITOVA AND MUGURUZA SET TO SHINE IN BIRMINGHAM SEMIS thumbnail

WTA TENNIS KVITOVA AND MUGURUZA SET TO SHINE IN BIRMINGHAM SEMIS

Grand Slam champions Petra Kvitova and Garbine Muguruza are set to light up successive semi-finals at the Aegon Classic Birmingham on Saturday.