Kei Nishikori Still Struggling With Injured Knee

Written by: on 9th January 2013
Print This Post Print This Post
Kei Nishikori Still Struggling With Injured Knee  |

The Australian Open is marketed as the Grand Slam of Asia and the Pan Pacific but one of the most commercially viable star from the region likes in danger of missing the year’s first major as Kei Nishikori struggles to overcome an injured knee in time for next Monday’s start.

Japan’s Nishikori was forced to withdraw from last week’s Brisbane International semi-final after initially leading eventual champion Andy Murray and now he has also pulled of this week’s traditional Melbourne curtain riser, the AAMI Classic at Kooyong.

Currently no.18 in the world, Nishikori is this year potentially set to become Asia’s highest ever ranked player by overtaking Paradorn Srichiphan, the Thai who peaked as the world no.9 ten years ago. And the commercial interest in Nishikori at the Australian Open is set to be huge with corporate Japan mesmerised by his every move.

Last year Nishikori became the first Asian male to reach the quarterfinals of the Australian Open after beating former finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and he underlined his ability to win the tournaments that aid his marketability by claiming last October’s Rakuten Japan Open. Therefore hopes are understandably high for Nick Bollettieri-trained right-hander but after just one practice hit at Melbourne Park he realized the knee is still not up to the rigors of best-of-five-sets competition.

The 21 year-old will now undergo five days of intensive treatment on the knee in the hope he will be fit to play. Without giving too much away, Nishikori said: “Hopefully, I can play.

Nishikori withdrawal from the Kooyong event was the second blow for AAMI Classic promoter Colin Stubs. Earlier world no.12 Juan Monaco of Argentina was forced to offer his apologies because of a hand injury.

“The doctors advised him not to play for the next few days,” Stubs said.

 

©Daily Tennis News Wire

Topics: , , , ,





10sBalls Top Stories

In Case You Missed It

PARISPOVAGATE By Richard Evans thumbnail

PARISPOVAGATE By Richard Evans

The Olympics & Sharapova by Richard Evans
ROME TENNIS PHOTO GALLERY SHARED BY 10SBALLS – ANETT KONTAVEIT, VENUS WILLIAMS, & MORE thumbnail

ROME TENNIS PHOTO GALLERY SHARED BY 10SBALLS – ANETT KONTAVEIT, VENUS WILLIAMS, & MORE

Click here to check out some of the latest tennis photos from Rome.
RAIN IN ROME • TENNIS RESULTS & SCHEDULE • THIEM BEATS NADAL, AWAITS DJOKOVIC-DEL POTRO WINNER IN SF • BRYAN BROS. WIN IN DUBS thumbnail

RAIN IN ROME • TENNIS RESULTS & SCHEDULE • THIEM BEATS NADAL, AWAITS DJOKOVIC-DEL POTRO WINNER IN SF • BRYAN BROS. WIN IN DUBS

Click here to keep up with the updated ATP results from the Italian Open tennis.
TENNIS NEWS FROM ROME 2017 AS NADAL GOES DOWN TO DOMINIC THIEM thumbnail

TENNIS NEWS FROM ROME 2017 AS NADAL GOES DOWN TO DOMINIC THIEM

Rafael Nadal is perfect no more on red clay in 2017. Nadal suffered his first clay-court loss of the season when he succumbed to a red-hot Dominic Thiem 6-4, 6-3 in the quarterfinals of the Internazionali BNL d'Italia on Friday afternoon.
RICHARD EVANS SHARES HIS VIEWS WITH 10SBALLS ABOUT HIS FRIEND ILIE NASTASE & THE FED CUP FIASCO thumbnail

RICHARD EVANS SHARES HIS VIEWS WITH 10SBALLS ABOUT HIS FRIEND ILIE NASTASE & THE FED CUP FIASCO

He sent flowers. So he is contrite. Is that enough; is that enough to prevent Ilie Nastase from being banned forever from any future responsible position in the world of tennis? Almost certainly not.