Rafael Nadal Says He Would Like To Return To The Tour in January
epa03489495 Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal attends the opening of the 100th tennis playground of the Richard Krajicek Foundation in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 28 November 2012. With the playgrounds the foundation of the former Dutch tennis player offers a place to play tennis for the underprivileged children in run-down suburbs. EPA/BAS CZERWINSKI |
Rafael Nadal has little to say by way of comeback performance promises as he prepares for what is looking like a re-appearance on court after six months away.
But the No. 4 who admits that if his ranking slips to 15th in the early days he will not be concerned, has yet to specify exactly when he will step back into competition after last playing on June 28.
He is reportedly signed for the Abu Dhabi exhibition starting December 27 but made no specific mention of that date in an interview with Spanish radio.
The 11-time Grand Slam winner had to drop from competition with his chronic knee injuries, a partial tear of a left patella tendon and inflammation of the fat pad on that knee.
“I’d like to return in January,” Nadal told Spanish radio. “But I’m not expecting to win the Open. In the first events back, I won’t worry about the results.
Nadal admitted that if he drops badly in the rankings, that would not be a worry. He did hint at a goal though, saying he wanted to be fit by the time he plays in Monte Carlo on his beloved clay, the event which start the run-up to Roland Garros, which he won for a record seventh time last June.
“I’m pleased with the recovery, it’s going well. I want to be at 100 per cent for Monte Carlo and the French Open.
After a quarter century of questionably-successful exploits, the USTA Player Development (PD) division is, once again, making a change. Patrick McEnroe no longer sports the PD crown, and the National Board has begun the search for a successor. Having spent the last two decades watching regime after regime take the PD division’s reigns – only to drop them a few years later after effecting policies that have yet to produce a US Champion – I’m inclined to offer some thoughts...
More than two months after Neil Harman, the long standing Tennis Correspondent of The Times of London was suspended on charges of plagiarism, Daily Tennis News understands his employment with the newspaper has been formally terminated.
Rafael Nadal will make a third consecutive appearance in February's Golden Swing in South America when he takes the court this week at the Rio Open. Nadal enters as the defending champion, having won the inaugural Rio tournament by beating Alexandr Dolgopolov in last year's final.