Czechs take 2-1 lead over Spain in Davis Cup (Yahoo! Sports)
PRAGUE (AP) — The Czech Republic won the doubles Saturday to take a 2-1 lead over defending champion Spain in the Davis Cup final, moving one victory away from its first title as an independent nation.
This is a syndicated post, read the rest here:
Yahoo! Sports - Tennis News.
10sBalls Top Stories
- RAFA, FEDERER, & DIMITROV ALL WIN @ THE SWISS INDOORS TENNIS TOURNAMENT IN BASEL, EPA PHOTO GALLERY
- ROGER FEDERER VS. GRIGOR DIMITROV IN BNP PARIBAS TENNIS SHOWDOWN @ MSG / MARCH 10, 2015 IN NEW YORK CITY
- BASEL MEN’S TENNIS UPDATE ROGER FEDERER TAKES OUT GILLES MULLER 6-2,6-1 IN 47 MINUTES
- SERENA’S SINGAPORE SLING, ANA IVANOVIC, GENIE BOUCHARD & MORE PHOTOS FROM EPA
- EPA PHOTO GALLERY FROM THE VALENCIA OPEN 500, ALEJANDRO’S PICKS
- SERENA WILLIAMS GETS A “BAGEL” IN SINGAPORE & MORE
- BNP PARIBAS OPEN TENNIS EVENT PLAYED IN THE COACHELLA VALLEY HAS A HUGE ECONOMIC IMPACT , IT TOPS $373 MILLION ! BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW ! ITS’ A GREAT EVENT, FEDERER, NADAL, SHARAPOVA & ALMOST ALL THE REST WILL BE THERE
- ROGER FEDERER IS PLAYING LOTS OF TENNIS , BASEL & PARIS & LONDON & DAVIS CUP
- JELENA & NOVAK DJOKOVIC HAVE THEIR BABY BOY & THEY NAMED THEIR SON STEFAN
- RAONIC IMPROVES LONDON CHANCES, FEDERER AND NADAL IN ACTION ON WEDNESDAY IN BASEL BY RICKY DIMON
- MEN’S EPA PHOTO GALLERY FROM THE SWISS INDOORS TENNIS TOURNAMENT IN BASEL, CHOSEN BY ALEJANDRO
- VERDASCO YA ESPERA A FERRER O SEPPI @ THE VALENCIA OPEN MEN’S ATP TENNIS
- SINGAPORE WTA LADIES TENNIS YEAR END FINALS, PHOTOS BY EPA CHOSEN BY ALEJANDRO
- RUSSIAN TENNIS OFFICIAL TARPISCHEV HAS CREATED A MAJOR UPROAR , HE CALLED THE WILLIAMS SISTERS THE WILLIAMS BROTHERS
- ANDY MURRAY IS WORKING HARD. LONDON BARCLAYS YEAR END CHAMPS ARE ALMOST IN HIS REACH
In Case You Missed It
This is about as good as it gets when it comes to a pair of 500-point tournaments. Roger Federer will play in front of home fans as the No. 1 seed at the Swiss Indoors Basel, where Rafael Nadal’s comeback from a wrist injury and perseverance through appendicitis will continue.
This was pretty straightforward: Marin Cilic broke once in the middle of the first set, and again at the beginning of the second, and he was never broken. It's his fourth title of the year -- twice as many as he had ever won before even if you ignore the fact that one of them was the U. S. Open.
Sunday's showdown between David Ferrer and Andy Murray at the Erste Bank Open not only had a title on the line but also World Tour Finals implications. The two veterans entered this week separated by one spot in the race to London, both outside the top eight with Ferrer in ninth and Murray in 10th.
We keep crossing Ernests Gulbis out of London, and it's never quite officially true. But this makes it incredibly close (more in the Feature). Roberto Bautista Agut can't quite make London, but with this, he's up to #14. That's as high as he can go this week, and probably this year, but still, what a breakthrough season!
What in the world has gotten into Irina-Camelia Begu? She has one WTA title (Tashkent 2012) and a couple of other finals (Marbella 2011, Budapest 2011) -- but those were bottom-tier events. And, here, she has beaten two Top Twenty players, Ekaterina Makarova and now Lucie Safarova.